21 de março de 2013

Jam Thumbprint Biscuits




Por
Erika France
teawitherika.wordpress.com




I was reading an article written by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall about the invasion of American coffee shops in Britain and how it's changing the consumers' behaviour. "Supersized decorated cookies" and "enormous cartoon cupcakes" are taking the place of good old bickies but they're like a well-dressed, handsome but dumb boy: easy on the eyes but very disappointing in comforting.





With that in mind I remembered that I hadn't posted anything yet from one of my favourite blogs, Technicolor Kitchen. I used to make these biscuits a long time ago but I lost the recipe when I decided to transfer all my recipes to the computer. Not that I didn't make backup cds, I surely did! Lots of them. The problem was that I used a programme to edit the recipes that was simply discontinued (PageMaker) and the copies I had wouldn't work in the more modern system versions. Of course it was my fault: I knew it was going to be discontinued and yet I kept postponing migrating my recipes to a more reliable format, like .txt. Damage was done, so let's move on and find another biscuit recipe. And that's how I found Patricia's Chocolate Thumbprints. I have adapted it slightly because I prefer my thumbprints with jam but they are delicious and very easy to make anyway.


JAM THUMBPRINT BISCUITS

(makes about 35 biscuits)


INGREDIENTS


115g unsalted butter, softened

½ cup (70g) confectioners' sugar, sifted

¼ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 ¼ cups (175g) all-purpose flour, sifted

about 6 tbsp jam (I made some with guava and some with apricot jam)





METHOD

Preheat oven to 180ºC and line two baking trays with parchment.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in flour, beginning on low speed and increasing to medium high, until a dough forms – it won’t be sticky.

Roll dough by teaspoonfuls into balls, and place them 2cm apart onto prepared tins. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, press thumb into tops of biscuits to make indentations and fill them with a bit of jam. Return to oven, and bake until light brown on the edges, 7 to 9 minutes more. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

NOTES: It's best to use the back of a measuring teaspoon or the end of a wooden spoon to make the indentations so that you don't burn your thumbs :)

??????????

13 comentários:

Jorge Carrano disse...

Quero agradecer a Erika, minha nora, por permitir que eu republicasse aqui um de seus posts, originariamente publicado no blog que ela mantém em
teawitherika.wordpress.com

Helga Maria disse...

It looks delicious!
Helga

Jorge Carrano disse...

Outras delícias você encontrará no "tea with erika", blog da Erika que você acessa com o endereço que já mencionei no primeiro comentário.
E vou dar uma notícia em primeira mão: vem aí a versão em português.
Por enquanto exercite seu inglês.(rs)

Gusmão disse...

Como vou manter o peso com tantas receitas apetitosas, como bolo de Fanta e biscoitos com geleias.
Nas fotos estão lindos, resta saber se taste good.
Abraços

Freddy disse...

Com goiaba são os meus favoritos!
=8-) Freddy

Anônimo disse...

Ninguém mais fala de futebol aí. Os cariocas andam murchos.
:D Fernandez

Jorge Carrano disse...

Amanhã haverá futebol. Por enquanto empanturre-se com biscuits. Pelo menos com os olhos.

Iniciante disse...

Dna. Erika,
O wordpress tem mais facilidades do que o blogspot para quem vai começar?

Riv4 disse...

Dear Erika, good morning.

One point caught my attention in your delicious text. You used "cm" instead of "inches" in the measure.

Is it also normal in USA, or it is your personal way of making measurements?

Greetings !

Anônimo disse...

Riv4, as a lover of all things British, my text and my measurements reflect my adoration for the Queen's language. American recipes, as well as Brazilian ones, normally use cups and spoons and I think measuring ingredients on a scale is more precise and leaves room for less mistakes :)

Anônimo disse...

Iniciante, acho ambos igualmente fáceis de usar. Optei pelo wordpress por causa dos widgets (caixa de pesquisa, blogs recem-visitados, seguir por email) e do layout deles na página. Na verdade, a minha primeira opção foi o Blogger, por ter gostado mais dos temas de fundo. O negócio é comparar os dois e ver com qual vc se sente mais à vontade. Good blogging! Erika

Anônimo disse...

Obrigada pelos comentários, Gusmão, Fernandez e Helga! Eles ficam realmente muito gostosos e são muito fáceis de fazer.

Iniciante disse...

Obrigada Erika. Vou lançar um blog e te aviso quando estiver pronto. Será sobre a relação animais/crianças.